Avengers of The Fellowship
Kindhearted. Chain Mail with Longsword by his side.
Sildar is a kindhearted fifty years who holds a place of honour in the famous griffon cavalry of the great city of Water deep. He is an agent of The Lords’ Alliance, a group of allied political powers concerned with mutual security and prosperity. Members of the order ensure the safety of cities and other settlements by proactively eliminating threats by any means, while bringing honour and glory to their leaders and homelands.
Sildar met Gundren Rockseeker in Neverwinter and agreed to accompany him back to Phandalin. Sildar wants to investigate the fate of Iarno Albrek, a human wizard and fellow member of the Lords’ Alliance who disappeared shortly after arriving in Phandalin.
Sildar hopes to learn what happened to larno, assist Gundren in reopening the old mine, and help restore Phandalin to a civilized center of wealth and prosperity.
Sildar provides the characters with four pieces of useful information:
- The three Rockseeker brothers (Gundren, Tharden, and Nundro) recently located an entrance to the long-lost Wave Echo Cave, site of the mines of the Phandelver’s Pact. (Share the information in Phandalin Mines at this time.)
Klarg, the bugbear who leads this goblin band, had orders to waylay Gundren. Sildar heard from the goblins that the Black Spider sent word that the dwarf was to be brought to him.
- Sildar doesn’t know who or what the Black Spider is.
- Gundren had a map showing the secret location of Wave Echo Cave, but the goblins took it when they captured him. Sildar believes that Klarg sent the map and the dwarf to the chief of the Cragmaws at a place called Cragmaw Castle. Sildar doesn’t know where that might be, but he suggests someone in Phandalin might know. (It doesn’t occur to Sildar immediately, but a captured goblin might also be persuaded to divulge the castle’s location.
- Sildar’s contact in Phandalin is a human wizard named Iarno Albrek. The wizard traveled to the town two months ago to establish order there. After the Lords’ Alliance received no word from Iarno, Sildar decided to investigate.
Sildar tells the characters that he intends to continue on to Phandalin, since it’s the nearest settlement. He offers to pay the party 50 gp to provide escort. Although he has no money on him, Sildar can secure a loan to pay the characters within a day after arriving in Phandalin.
First, he hopes they’ll put a stop to the goblin raids by clearing out the caves.
As an agent of the Lords’ Alliance, his goal is to bring law and order to Phandalin. He also wishes to locate a previous Lords’ Alliance member that has gone missing.
In Overview of Act 1, Sildar is a captive in Cragmaw Hideout. All of his gear has been taken from him and sent off to Cragmaw Castle along with Gundren. If the party is able to rescue him, he can become a travel companion and quest giver later on in the adventure.
In Overview of Act 2, Sildar settles in and begins work at establishing order at Townmaster’s Hall (see Phandalin Locations). He offers two quests to the party:
1. Find Cragmaw Castle and save Gundren Rockseeker. Sildar wants to find the lost mine of Wave Echo Cave and help The Rockseeker Brothers put it back into production, believing that bringing prosperity to the region will help civilize the town.
2. Find Iarno Albrek. After questioning several locals, Sildar learns that Iarno Albrek, a fellow member of the Lords’ Alliance, disappeared while exploring the area around Tresendar Manor about two months ago, shortly after arriving in Phandalin. Sildar asks the characters to investigate the manor and the surrounding area to find and bring back Iarno—or what’s left of him, if something killed him.
Joining the Lords’ Alliance
If the party eliminates the goblin threat from Cragmaw Castle or uncovers Iarno’s treachery, Sildar Hallwinter privately approaches certain members of the group to urge them to join the Lords’ Alliance. He speaks with those who exemplify a desire for the security of civilization through action. If a character agrees, Sildar Hallwinter awards the individual the title of Cloak.